Pictured is Declan Moore from Bilboa AC, the first male winner of the Kilmallock AC 4 Mile road race
Kilmallock 4-mile Road Race
Last Friday evening Kilmallock AC hosted its annual road race and the fifth event in the Ballyhoura Active 2019 series. Weather conditions were perfect for the 7.30 start time. This year their race starter was Paddy McAuliffe, a member of the legendary team of the late 1950s. The race attracted a crowd of 178 from near and far. In the men’s event, it was a Bilboa AC 1,2 with the previous winner Declan Moore leading home club mate John Kinsella. In the women’s race another previous winner, Carol Finn of Leevale lead home and Paula Grant from Portlaoise with Kealey Tideswell of Clonmel AC 3rd.
The podium places and category winners were as follows.
- 1st Declan Moore Bilboa AC 20:08
- 2nd John Kinsella Bilboa AC 20:44
- 3rd Gareth McGlinchey Dundrum AC 21:17
- 1st Carol Finn Leevale AC 24:34
- 2nd Paula Grant Portlaoise 25:30
- 3rd Kealey Tideswell Clonmel AC 25:36
- O40 Shane Scully 22:33 Nenagh
- O45 Patrick O’Keefe Mount Hillary AC 24:24
- O50 Damien Holian Mooreabbey Milers 24:18,
- O55 Willie O’Donoghue Mooreabbey Milers 23:41
- O60 Tony McMahon Kilmallock AC 25:55
- O65 Neil Holland Mallow AC 27:49
- O70 Jerry Sheedy Kilmallock AC 3:.28
Junior Male Winner: Ewan Cunningham Mooreabbey Milers 25.44
- O40 Marie O’Shea Mooreabbey Milers 26:17
- O45 Mary Pyke Mooreabbey Milers 28.42
- O50 Clotilde Fitzgibbon Grange-Fermoy AC 27.40
- O55 Mary Murphy Shandrum AC 30.47
- O60 Mary Hinchy Mooreabbey Milers 33.58
Junior Female Winner: Ursula Bluett North Cork AC 28.39
Wheelchair Athlete Winner: Jerry Forde Blarney 35.40
First Kilmallock AC runners: Male John Paul McCarthy 24:08 and Female Nuala Collins 30:29
Sponsored by MYP Coaching
Total race participants: 178.
Ballyhoura will like to thank the volunteers who marshalled the event, Tom Quinn in the lead car and the ambulance service. The will also like to give special thanks to Deerbert House Hotel for providing its premises before and after the race.
Finally, they would like to thank the following businesses who sponsored their race: Power Solicitors, Paddy Mc Auliffe Fitzgerald Electric,Tim Cahill Hardware, Risen Physio Gvm, Mart Rory o Sullivan Butcher, BOI Kilmallock, AIB Kilmallock, FDC Insurance, Daffey Car Sales, Kilmallock Credit Union, Ian Carroll Motor Factors, Marie Kenny Barbers, JJ Mc Carthy’s petrol station, Paddy Carroll auctioneers, Corrib Oils Kilmallock, Lena Beechinor North Bridge Service Station, Ryan’s Supervalue Kilmallock, Deerbert House Hotel Kilmallock and MYP Coaching.
Next Friday night the series moves to Dooneen AC 5-mile road race.