Picture: Sophie Goodwin/ilovelimerick
Hundreds of FREE car parking spaces in Limerick city for Christmas beginning this weekend
Hundreds of FREE Limerick car parking spaces will be available starting this weekend for shoppers and visitors to Limerick city centre this Christmas.
Following on from the success of the scheme in 2017, Limerick City and the County Council have provided hundreds of additional free car parking spaces with the Park & Strides and Park & Rides scheme available around the city. The FREE Park & Strides scheme will operate from 9 am to 9 pm each day with security provided on site. These spaces are within a short walk of the shopping districts in the city centre, making the city an ideal place to visit during the festive period.
Laura Ryan, Head of Marketing & Communications with Limerick City and County Council said: “This weekend will be hopping in Limerick, with live music from the vintage caravan stage on Bedford Row all afternoon for Savins Musical Treats, a winter busking competition on Upper William Street, plenty of gift ideas with our Limerick Unwrapped events and a host of free, family-friendly events in Limerick with Toots the train leading the charge on traditionally, one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year.”
Dee Ryan CEO of Limerick Chamber added: “Our members are pleased with the announcement of hundreds of extra car parking spaces for Christmas 2018, making a day trip to Limerick City an attractive offering for seasonal shoppers as well as those who simply wish to get a bite to eat and enjoy the festive atmosphere.”
Other new sites open for parking this year include the Irish Rail Depot, Great National South Court Hotel in Raheen and University of Limerick.
These extra spaces along with the Cleeve’s site on O’Callaghan Strand and the Council’s own car park at Merchant’s Quay will mean shoppers and visitors to the city will be able to park for free.
The Cleeve’s Site opens on the 7 December and will remain open daily until New Year’s Eve inclusive.
The Limerick City and County Council Car Park, accessed via Nicholas Street, will operate on the 8, 9,15, 16, 22 and 23 December, as well as on Christmas Eve inclusive.
The Irish Rail Depot on Roxboro Road will be open on this Saturday and Sunday the 8 and 9 December and then daily from the 15 December to Christmas Eve inclusive.
The University of Limerick Park & Ride will be operating on Saturday and Sunday for the next three weekends.
The Park & Ride at the Great National South Court Hotel, Raheen operates on the 8, 9, 16, 22, and 23 December from 9 am to 9 pm.
All Park & Ride and Park & Stride locations will be signposted for visitors.
Motorists using the Park & Rides can board the regular Bus Éireann scheduled services 304, 304A and 301 from Raheen. A real-time information app can be downloaded from the National Transport Authority, and Leap Cards can be used for the best bus fares.
In Abbeyfeale, Kilmallock and Newcastle West, motorists will get an extra two hours free parking in each of the towns from 2.30pm daily from 7 until 31 December inclusive. They already have their first hour free.
As always, parking in the city centre is available on-street and in multi-storey car parks. On-street car parking is free after 5.30pm daily and is always free on Sundays. For payments, download the Limerick e-parking app, or pay by phone or disc.
Users of the Park & Rides and Park & Strides schemes will be able to experience Christmas in Limerick and partake in the city’s events including:
- Toots Christmas Train – Hop on board the award-winning ‘Toots the Train’ and travel through the heart of the city and experience the festive sights and sounds and the Christmas lights! Every Fri, Sat & Sun until 23rd Dec.
- King John’s Castle Magical Christmas – Why not visit Santa Claus and all his friends who have come to live within the magnificent castle walls for their weekends on the 8, 9, 15, 16, and 20 – 23 December.
- Limerick Unwrapped – Join Celia Holman-Lee for some inspiration and gift ideas showcasing the best of fashion, jewellery, accessories and gifts from local Limerick stores. At Bowes Ryan Café, Arthur’s Quay, and Alex Findlater & Co, O’Connell St, Limerick on 7 December and Sodalicious, Lower Cecil St and The Savoy Bar, Savoy Hotel on 8th Dec.
- The Gingerbread Factory and Santa’s Postbox – at the Hunt Museum. You can make your own gingerbread while enjoying a hot chocolate before writing your all-important letter to Santa and posting it in the Big Green Post Box. Every Fri, Sat & Sun until 23rd Dec.
- Limerick on Ice – Enjoy the magic of real ice at Ireland’s longest established ice-rink Arthur’s Quay Park until 6th Jan.
- Santa’s Christmas Postbox – on Cecil Street is in place weekdays from 9.30am to 5.30pm and from 1 pm to 5 pm on Sundays until the 23rd Dec. Christmas Letter Forms are available from shops along Lower Cecil Street or can be downloaded from An Post’s website www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Letters+to+Santa.htm.
- Christmas at the Milk Market and the Christmas Market on Cruises Street – Soak up the atmosphere with local artisan traders showcasing the wonderful handmade craft, art, horticultural produce and seasonal treats. Milk Market: 14th – 16th Dec and 21st – 24th Dec. Cruises Street: 16th – 24th Dec.
- Musical Treats – sponsored by Savins. Bedford Row will be filled with festive cheer as colourful street performers and musicians entertain live from the vintage caravan stage on the 8th Dec.
- Winter Busking Competition – on Upper William Street. Sample some of the best sounds around as musicians and bands compete for one afternoon only on the 8th Dec.
- Santas – A host of magical Santas across Limerick including Newcastle West: 8th, 15th, 16th, 20th, 22nd Dec, Lough Gur on 8th, 9th, 15th, 16th Dec, Kilfinane on 9th Dec and Stonehall: 1st to 22nd Dec.
- Christmas Racing Festival – in Limerick’s Racecourse – the four-day traditional festival is the ideal place to continue the celebrations in style from 26th Dec.
The Christmas in Limerick programme is being coordinated by Limerick City and County Council’s Culture & Arts Department and the Marketing & Communications Department.
Christmas in Limerick is supported by:
- Gold Sponsors – Arthurs Quay Shopping Centre, King John’s Castle/ Shannon Heritage, Specsavers, SuperValue.
- Silver Sponsors – Brown Thomas, Caherdavin and District Credit Union, Limerick Chamber.
- Bronze Sponsors – Alex Findlater & Co, Centra, O’Connell St., The Hunt Cafe, Retail Excellence Ireland, Savins, Shannon Airport.
- Media Partners are Limerick’s Live 95fm, Limerick Post, Limerick Leader, Spin SouthWest.
All details about what’s on for Christmas in Limerick 2018 are available in the Christmas In Limerick 2018 brochure, 100,000 copies of which are being distributed across the mid-west.
For more information on parking in Limerick, click here
For more stories on Christmas in Limerick, click here