Pictured at the Gardens in City Hall for the launch of the New-look Limerick Going for Gold , was Roger Beck – Parkway Shopping Center, Alan English – Limerick Leader, Helen O Donnell – Chair Limerick City Tidy Town,Dep Mayor Frankie Daly,Geraldine O Regan -Live 95 FM, and Gerry Boland – Director JP McManus Charitable Foundation.
Limerick City and County Council has announced that 36 Communities from across Limerick have been shortlisted for the Limerick Going for Gold 2015 Community Challenge Category.
Tune into Limerick’s Live 95FM’s Limerick Today Show on Wednesday (July 22nd) when the process of identifying six finalists in the competition will begin and the first six communities will be interviewed live on air. These communities also will be profiled in The Limerick Leader and Chronicle on the same week.
Once the radio interviews conclude each Wednesday at midday, members of the public will have 12 hours (midday to midnight) to vote for their preferred group by texting GOLD followed by the ‘text name’ for the community group name to 53095 (texts cost 20 cent).
The six weekly winners will be named each Thursday and each will proceed as a finalist to the Going for Gold Grand Final. Voters are reminded that votes registered outside of the 12-hour voting period or containing misspelled names will not be counted but a charge will still apply.
The number of finalists will increase as Limerick Going for Gold judges will announce additional wildcard communities live on air in September.
36 shortlisted communities (and the text name for the community group) are listed below:
– Kilteely Tidy Towns – Kilteely, Kilteragh Residents Association – Kilteragh, Feenagh Tidy Towns – Feenagh (10am, 22 Jul);
– Athea Tidy Towns – Athea, Galbally Tidy Towns – Galbally, Gouldavoher Residents Association – Gouldavoher (11am, 22 Jul);
– Doon Tidy Towns – Doon, Glin Development Association – Glin, Moyross Tidy Town – Moyross (10am, 29 Jul);
– Broadford Development Association – Broadford, Bruff Tidy Towns – Bruff, Our Lady of Lourdes – OLOL (11am, 29 Jul);
– Foynes Community Council – Foynes, Croagh Community Council – Croagh, O’ Malley Keyes – OMK (10am, 5 Aug);
– Ballyneety Tidy Towns – Ballyneety, Kildimo Tidy Towns – Kildimo, Kilfinane Tidy Towns – Kilfinane (11am, 5 Aug);
– Anglesboro Tidy Towns – Anglesboro, Ardpatrick Tidy Towns – Ardpatrick, Elton Tidy Towns – Elton (10am, 12 Aug);
– Abbeyfeale Tidy Towns – Abbeyfeale, Janesboro Tidy Towns – Janesboro, Kilmallock Tidy Towns – Kilmallock (11am, 12 Aug);
– Adare Tidy Towns – Adare, Annacotty Tidy Towns – Annacotty, Hospital Tidy Towns – Hospital (10am, 19 Aug);
– Carew Kincora Estate Management – Carew Kincora, Murroe Tidy Towns – Murroe, Rathkeale Tidy Towns – Rathkeale (11am, 19 Aug);
– Askeaton Tidy Towns – Askeaton, Castleconnell Tidy Towns – Castleconnell, Croom Tidy Towns – Croom (10am, 26 Aug);
– Caherdavin Tidy Towns – Caheradavin, Newcastle West Tidy Towns – NCW, South Limerick City Residents Association – South Limerick(11am, 26 Aug).
Featuring a prize fund of €74,000, which is fully funded by the McManus Charitable Foundation, this year’s competition features four separate categories, namely Going for Gold Community Challenge (top prize of €10,000), Limerick In Bloom and a Tidy Towns Incentive category. Separately, there is a Best Front Garden Competition (still open for applications), sponsored by The Parkway Shopping Centre.
Going for Gold Challenge Category (with population related subcategories):
This category is open to all groups including those that have entered Tidy Towns and will have population subcategories. The following will be considered in relation to the judging of this category: 1) Project for which ‘Limerick G4G EIG incorporating LIB 2015’ grant aid was provided; 2) Application form received; 3) General absence of litter from the areas including approach roads; 4) Features of approach roads to area, village or town; 5) Trees; and 6) Details of additional works undertake since previous year if applicable.
Limerick in Bloom Category:
This category, which is open to all groups, relates to appropriate planting and floral displays, use of colour, perennial planting and planting schemes that attract biodiversity. Hanging baskets, window boxes are relevant in this section. There will be a monetary prize for winners in each of the four Municipal District areas with an overall winner receiving a monetary prize and the Limerick in Bloom Trophy.
Best Front Garden Competition:
This category requires completion of an additional application form. The Parkway Shopping Centre, Childers Road, Limerick, produce the application form along with sponsoring and judging this category of the competition please email [email protected]com. Please note the garden must be visible from the public road
Tidy Towns Incentive Category:
This category is open to groups that have entered the National Tidy Towns Competition in 2015 and whose results are eligible to be listed in the 2015 Tidy Towns Results Book. This category will be based on Tidy Towns results for 2015. The most improved group across the City and County will receive a prize. In addition, the most improved group in each of the Municipal Districts will also receive a prize. There will be a selection of awards under various Tidy Towns category headings also.
Judging of all Limerick Going for Gold Category entrants is ongoing and all Limerick Going for Gold 2015 applications are still under consideration for the Limerick in Bloom Category.
Limerick Going for Gold is being run by Limerick City & County Council in association with the JP McManus Charitable Foundation and is supported by Live 95 fm and the Limerick Leader Limerick Chronicle, Limerick Post, I Love Limerick and Southern Media Marketing.
Read more about Limerick Going For Gold here.
Follow ILoveLimerick on Instagram here.