Going for Gold 2019 launched: Nadia Collins Sakni, Roger Beck – The Parkway Shopping Center, Padraig Malone – LCCC, Dave O Hora – Southern Media Marketing Design, John McCarthy, John McCarthy – Kilteely Tidy Towns, Gerry Boland – JP McManus Charitable Foundation, Dep Mayor Ger Mitchell, Thady Hunt – Athea Tidy Towns, Amanda Flannery – Live 95, Geraldine O Regan – Live 95, Aine Fitzgerald – Limerick Leader and Sinead McDonnell – Environmental Awareness Officer LCCC pictured at the Launch of Limerick Going For Gold 2019 in Kilteely, Limerick today. Picture: Brian Arthur
Re-vamped Going for Gold 2019 launched in Limerick
On Tuesday, July 9 Deputy Mayor of Limerick City and County Council Cllr Gerald Mitchell and Gerry Boland of the JP McManus Charitable Foundation launched the Limerick Going for Gold competition for 2019 in Kilteely.
Representatives from last year’s winning groups Athea Tidy Towns and Kilteely Tidy Towns were on hand to assist with the launch. Over €72,000 in grant aid has been distributed from the Limerick Going for Gold Environment Improvement Grant funding (50% funded by Limerick City and County Council and 50% funded by JP McManus Charitable foundation already this year). Grants ranged from €200– €2,000 and assist groups with their environmental work and help with the overall aim of making Limerick a better place to work live and visit.
This year the competition has had a mini overhaul following consultation with groups over the winter period. Over €60,000 will be distributed over six categories in this year’s competition:
1. Tidy Towns Category – must have entered Tidy Towns 2019 national competition.
2. Limerick Bee Friendly in Bloom open to all Tidy Towns groups who have not won a prize in Tidy Towns category plus groups who did not enter Tidy Towns 2019 or do not have a group.
3. Champions Category must have won a previous challenge category or its equivalent.
4. Residential Areas – estates and similar areas
5. Endeavour Award – Group that has come to the Judge’s attention and deemed worthy of an endeavor award.
6. Reuse Award –Limerick City and County Council sponsor this prize. It will be awarded to a group or organization involved in Reuse.
7. Best Front Garden Category – Sponsored by the Parkway Shopping Centre.
Judges will consider the following –Litter control, general tidiness and upkeep, pollinator-friendly planting, sustainable planting, overall impression, works undertaken/improvements from 2018 (if applicable). Where judges deem it necessary they will provide feedback. As in other years, all aspects of the judges’ decisions will be final
Cllr Gerald Mitchell, Deputy Mayor of the City and County of Limerick said “I am thankful to Limerick Going for Gold sponsors, the JP Mc Manus Charitable Foundation, and all of our supporters and friends of Going for Gold. I am delighted to see the positive impact that the Limerick Going for Gold grant and competition continues to have on communities across Limerick city and county.”
Gerry Boland from the JP Mc Manus Charitable Foundation added: “I am delighted with the longevity of Limerick Going for Gold. It is wonderful to see and hear the contribution it has made to the environment by helping communities to help themselves towards a cleaner, brighter place and that it also incorporates pollinator-friendly planting.”
For more information on Limerick Going for Gold go here
For more stories on Limerick Going for Gold go here