Patrick O Sullivan (3rd from left) with Minister Ardady Rzegocki, H.E. Ambassador Sochanska, and Grzegorz Sala, Head of Consular Section of the Embassy of Poland in Dublin.
Commander’s Cross of the Order for Merit of the Republic of Poland
The Order for Merit of the Republic of Poland is awarded to foreigners and Polish citizens residing abroad who have made an outstanding contribution to international cooperation, and cooperation between the Republic of Poland and other countries and nations through their activities.
On Tuesday, May 3rd, 2022, during the celebrations for the National Day of Poland, Patrick O Sullivan, Honorary Consul for Poland in Limerick, was decorated with the Commander’s Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland, by the Polish Ambassador Ms. Anna Sochańska and Minister Arkady Rzegocki, Head of the Foreign Service of the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, on behalf of the President of the Republic of Poland Andrzej Duda, for his many years of service to the Polish community in Ireland. The celebrations took place in the Ambassador of Poland’s Residence, Dublin.
During the ceremony, three national anthems were played: Poland, Ireland, and Ukraine. The celebration was graced by the performance of the Ukrainian pianist Andriy Blyznyuk.
The guests of the Dublin celebrations included Patrick’s family and friends, Irish Senators, the Ukranian Ambassador to Dublin Ms. Gerasko Larysa, the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Mrs. Alison Gilliland, the Defence Attaché, Military, Naval and Air Attaché Colonel. Mieczysław Malec, who presented the Medals of the Polish Army to Irish soldiers, awarded to them by the Minister of Defence of the Republic of Poland, Mr. M. Błaszczak, for special merits in the field of cooperation within multinational units, which include units of the Polish Army.
About the Honorary Consulate of Poland in Limerick:
• The Honorary Consulate of Poland in Limerick deals with:
– The protection of the rights and interests of Polish citizens, ensures the equal treatment of Polish citizens in relation to matters of employment, wages, social security, education and access to Irish justice system
– Providing information concerning the national Irish law and dealing with state institutions
– Assisting in emergency situations, such as deaths, accidents, illness of the Polish citizens
– In an emergency situation we can visit a Polish citizen in hospital, jail, etc.
• In the area of economic cooperation:
– The Consulate is working to create suitable conditions for Polish exports and the development of economic cooperation
– The Consulate supports Polish entrepreneurship in the region
• In the field of cultural cooperation:
– The Consulate promotes the good image of Polish cultural heritage
– The Consulate initiates and helps to organize cultural events (eg. Exhibitions, films , artistic performances)
– The consulate works for the development of the Polish language
• In cooperation with the Polish diaspora:
– The Consulate maintains contacts with Polish community organizations
– The Consulate takes part in Polish community cultural, patriotic events and State anniversaries
In addition, the Honorary Consulate of Limerick promotes all forms of tourism in Poland.
For more information on the Honorary Consulate of Poland in Limerick, go HERE
For more stories about Polish Limerick, go HERE