Doras celebrating World Refugee Day 2018 in Limerick
World Refugee Day 2018 will be marked on 20th June, a day for us to recognise the strength and determination of refugees across the globe, the hardships they have faced and the valuable contributions they bring to their host communities. This year, Doras will be hosting a number of events in both Limerick and Wexford, including a film screening and an afternoon of Arabic food, music, and dancing.
Of the estimated 26 million refugees globally in 2017, just over 10,000 live in Ireland as well as over 5,000 asylum seekers who are awaiting a decision on their applications for international protection.
Leonie Kerins, CEO of Doras Luimní:
“For the last three years, Doras has supported the Refugee Resettlement programme in Limerick, Wexford, and Laois, providing integration support to hundreds of refugee as part of a nationwide project. We continue to support the Government in its efforts toward accepting 4,000 persons seeking protection under the EU Relocation and Resettlement programmes, and we will continue to call on the Government to honour these commitments going forward.”
Doras commend the Irish Government’s commitment to Refugee Resettlement and note the recent progress on bringing Ireland’s protection and reception system in-line with EU standards.
On World Refugee Day, Doras reiterate our call on the Government to:
- Uphold the refugee resettlement and relocation quotas outlined by the Government in 2015;
- Encourage and work with our EU partners to address the need for and to offer safe and legal passage for refugees to Europe;
- Maintain and increase search and rescue efforts in the Mediterranean;
- Continue to strive towards a more efficient, humane and effective asylum system in Ireland and across Europe.
World Refugee Day events
Limerick: Wednesday 20th June 2018
12:30 pm to 2 pm, Bedford Row
Doras will be at Bedford Row to raise public awareness of the struggles faced by refugees and asylum seekers.
6 pm to 8 pm, CB1 Gallery, 51a O’Connell Street
Doras will hold a free screening of Human (appx. 45min), a film by Yann Arthus-Bertrand that celebrates humanity and the beauty in both similarities and differences
All events are free and open to the public.
- Doras Luimní is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation based in Limerick. Our mission is to promote and uphold the human rights and well-being of migrants through personal advocacy, integration development and collaborative advocacy campaigns at the local and national level.
- Doras is based in Limerick with a sub-office in Wexford, from which we have been supporting the resettlement of refugees since 2017. Doras supported the refugee resettlement programme in Laois from 2015 to 2016.
- World Refugee Day is marked each year on 20th June around the globe.
For more stories on World Refugee Day, go here.
For more information on World Refugee Day 2018, go here.