Christmas in Co. Limerick is full to the brim with different events on for the festive season
Towns and villages throughout Limerick are getting into the Christmas spirit with a host of different events taking place between now and the ‘big’ day. For Christmas in Co. Limerick, it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas as the towns of Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale prepare to switch on their lights to mark the start the festive season.
Santa will travel from the North Pole to Abbeyfeale on Friday 29 November to light up the town at 6.30 pm and officially kick-start the festivities, while eyes will be on the skies over Newcastle West on Saturday 07 December at 5 pm for the Christmas lights switch-on.
There is plenty taking place throughout for Christmas in Co Limerick to entertain the whole family in the lead up to Christmas. Among the highlights are local craft and food fairs, pantos and music, festive evening tea, Santa’s grottos, Christmas workshops and the longstanding traditional horse racing festival at Limerick Racecourse.
It’s Panto (and Music) Time
Panto season is well and truly upon us, and there’s no better way to get in the festive mood than a trip to the theatre with your family and friends.
- Westend Drama Group presents musical comedy Shrek The Panto at the Old Chapel Rooms, Kilfinane
- County Limerick Youth Theatre takes to the stage at the Honey Fitz Theatre, Lough Gur for their production of The X-Factory on the 06 and 07 December. This ensemble piece is a play that promises an exciting evening of music, dance and comedy.
- A Festive Choir Evening in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Newcastle West on 5 Dec will get you in the Christmas spirit.
- New York City meets Newcastle West as the stars of Les Misérables, Ron and Barbara Sharpe, bring their Broadway Christmas Spectacular to the Longcourt House Hotel on 7 Dec, where country music sensation Nathan Carter will also take to the stage on 14 Dec as part of his Christmas concert tour.
- The students of Desmond School of Performing Arts will showcase their talents in a free Christmas concert at Castlemahon Community Hall on 12 and 13 Dec.
Santa Claus is coming to Town
Throughout the month of December, boys and girls can visit Santa Claus in some of the most unique locations in County Limerick.
- See Santa, Rudolph and the other reindeer at Stonehall Wildlife Park before their big adventure on Christmas Eve.
- At Lough Gur, Santa will be decked out in his most luxurious handmade outfit ready to meet and greet children, as he prepares for the beard pulling test! The Santa Experience at Lough Gur also has a dedicated sensory morning on Sunday 8 December.
- Pay a visit to Santa’s Grotto at D&M Garden Centre, Croagh, or better still, why not join him for breakfast on Christmas Eve at the garden centre and then Newcastle West Rugby Club before he sets off on his round the world trip?
Festive Fairs & Workshops
Local artists, crafters and bakers will showcase their creativity at a host of festive fairs taking place in the lead up to Christmas. Grab a hot chocolate, wander around the stalls and choose from locally handcrafted gifts, artisan produce and home baking. Start your Christmas shopping, enjoy locally produced seasonal treats, soak up the festive atmosphere and support our local Limerick traders. With craft fairs taking place the length and breadth of the county, embrace the Christmas spirit and support your local community fair.
Get crafty this Christmas and design and create your own ornament, wreath, or table centre arrangement at one of the many festive workshops being held throughout Limerick. Enjoy seasonal treats in a relaxed atmosphere, and let the Christmas creativity flow!
Fairs and workshops are taking place in:
- Feale Crafters Christmas Craft Fair, St. Ita’s Hall, Abbeyfeale – Fri 29 Nov
- Rockbarton Boutique Annual Christmas Fair, Holycross, Bruff – Sun 01 Dec
- Rockhill Bruree Christmas Fair, Community Hall, Bruree – Sun 01 Dec
- Christmas Market at Adare Village Hall and lighting of the Christmas Tree- Sun 01 Dec
- Creatives at Mungret College – Sat 07 Dec
- Christmas Market, The People’s Hall, Kilmallock – Sat 07 Dec
- Christmas Craft Market at Raheenagh Hall – Sun 08 Dec
- Christmas Fair in Loughill – Sun 08 Dec
- Santa & Craft Fair at St. John’s Church, Knockainey – Sat 14 Dec
- Christmas Wreath Workshops, Rockbarton Garden Centre, Bruff – throughout Dec
A Five Star Experience
Experience the magic of Christmas at the award-winning Adare Manor Hotel throughout December. Enjoy festive evening tea with family and friends in the sumptuous surroundings of The Gallery, or for something a little different, wrap up and explore the grounds of the estate from the comfort of Limerick Carriage Tours’ enchanted horse-drawn carriage.
Christmas Racing Festival
A day at the races has fast become a festive tradition in the Irish sporting calendar. The Mr Binman Christmas Racing Festival takes place at Limerick Racecourse, Patrickswell from 26 – 29 December, is the ideal place to continue the festive celebrations in style. The annual festival attracts racegoers from all over Ireland who visit Greenmount Park for excellent racing action and plenty of entertainment off track. Festive highlights include Sunway Holidays Festive Most Stylish competition and Family Fun Day featuring a host of free entertainment for younger racegoers. Racegoers can avail of a complimentary bus service operating to and from Limerick City centre throughout the festival.
Free Parking In Abbeyfeale, Kilmallock and Newcastle West, shoppers will get an extra two hours free parking in each of the towns from 2.30 pm daily from 07 until 31 Dec inclusive. This is in addition to the first hour free.
Mayor of the City and County of Limerick Cllr Michael Sheahan said: “Towns and villages across Limerick will be a hive of activity as family and friends return home or visit for the Christmas. There is a host of events on for your entertainment, many of them community-based so it is that we all support our neighbours and friends and attend some if not all of the events in your local area.” “Christmas is a time to take stock and I’m urging everyone across Limerick city and county to come out in force, shop local and support our businesses.”
Laura Ryan, Head of Marketing and Communications with Limerick City and County Council said: “There’s a huge array of Christmas events taking place across County Limerick to entertain the whole family from craft fairs to Santa’s grottos and everything festive in between! It’s great that you don’t have to travel too far to experience some family fun and festive magic with so many local and community events over the next month. Keep an eye on our Christmas in Limerick website Limerick.ie/Christmas and our Christmas in Limerick social media for the latest updates on Christmas events across County Limerick.”
The Christmas in Limerick programme is being co-ordinated by Limerick City and County Council’s Culture & Arts and Marketing & Communications Departments. Christmas in Limerick is supported by Limerick Post, Limerick Chamber, Limerick Leader, Live 95 and Spin South West.
For more information on Christmas in Limerick click here.
For more stories like this click here.