2022 Christmas in Limerick – Pictured at the launch of Limericks Christmas Crackers were, Mayor of Limerick City and County, Cllr. Francis Foley with Limerick City and County Councils, Donn O’Sullivan, Gordon Daly and Eileen Coleman. Picture: Alan Place.
Limerick city is the place to be this Christmas time
Limerick has always had a magical atmosphere at Christmas time and this year Christmas in Limerick 2022 is going to be bigger and better than ever!
Being together with friends and family is part of the Christmas tradition. Meeting up with old friends, gathering with family on Christmas Day makes the period special, and there’s no better place to be together than Limerick.
Limerick’s Christmas stocking is full to the brim with a range of Christmas Crackers and the return of some old favourites, that just make Christmas in Limerick 2022 the place to be this season for young and old.
Here’s a roundup of some of the Christmas crackers you won’t want to miss this festive Christmas in Limerick 2022!
CHRISTMAS IN THE CITY:
Get the Festive Feeling at the Christmas Village
10am – 10pm | Fri 25 – Sun 27 Nov • Thu – Sun 01 – 18 Dec • Mon 19 – Thu 22 Dec
Arthur’s Quay Park is Christmas central this year! Gather with family and friends at the Christmas Village and enjoy vintage amusements and carnival games, strap on your skates and take to the ice, or wrap your hands around a delicious hot chocolate and simply soak up the festive spirit!
Food lovers can feast on everything from German Bratwurst, traditional crepes, mini doughnuts and other tempting treats! For those who fancy a tasty tipple, the traditional Bier Keller is just the spot to toast the season and enjoy a pre-party get together before a night on the tiles in Limerick city centre!
Get Your Skates on
10am – 10pm | Fri 25 Nov – Sun 08 Jan
Limerick on Ice is back and is one of the only cities in the country to have a festive ice rink. Located in the Christmas Village, why not experience the magic of real ice at one of Limerick’s most celebrated Christmas attractions. Whether you’re a seasoned skater or a complete beginner, this is the ultimate winter fun activity for all to enjoy!
Happy Days at the Christmas Tree Maze
10am-6pm | Sat & Sun 26 Nov – 18 Dec
Prepare to be a-mazed at this new free family festive fun experience! Little ones and the young at heart are invited to wander through the magical Christmas Tree Maze, discover all its secrets and make it through to the other side!
A Christmas Tale at the Castle
5.30pm, 6.30pm, 7.30pm | Sat 26 Nov – Wed 21 Dec
This is the first Christmas that King John’s Castle is in the ownership pf the Council-owned Discover Limerick company, and it’s hosting ‘A Christmas Tale at the Castle’.
Spend an enchanted evening at King John’s Castle this Christmas as the medieval walls come to life with colourful illuminations in an immersive 3D audio visual festive animation show.
It is a Christmas tale for all the family to enjoy with 24 performances running from 26 November – 18 December.
Limerick Festive Fair
12pm – 8pm (Mon – Fri) • 10am – 8pm (Sat & Sun) | Fri 25 Nov – Thu 22 Dec
Bedford Row and Thomas Street will be a hive of activity with a host of artisan traders selling handmade crafts, Christmas gifts and sumptuous seasonal treats at the Limerick Festive Fair.
Each weekend, carolers, choirs and bands will take to the stage to provide musical merriment, sure to get shoppers into the Christmas spirit!
Get Crafty this Christmas
Workshops: Fri 09 – Sun 11 Dec & Fri 16 Dec | Parade: Sun 18 Dec
Nothing says Christmas like twinkling lights on winter nights! Join Lumen Street Theatre for a fun-filled festive workshop to make your very own magical lantern before coming together for the Parade of Lanterns to show off your colourful crafty creations!
International Christmas in Limerick
If you’ve ever wondered who first decided to bring trees indoors to celebrate Christmas, the story behind the bright red poinsettia flower or how Advent calendars became a popular means to count down the days in the run up to the 25th, then, a new event in Limerick’s festive calendar International Christmas in Limerick will answer all these questions and more.
Limerick City and County Council, in partnership with the Hunt Museum and supported by Creative Ireland, present International Christmas in Limerick this Sunday 11 December (between 11am and 5pm) at the Hunt Museum. In what promises to be an entertaining and informative showcase of Christmas traditions and non-Christmas winter traditions, a series of presentations and performances will be shared by our international communities in Limerick.
Scheduled on the day will be:
Children’s Oyo de Dios:
A Mexican decoration making workshop for ages 9-12 years and younger with adult supervision. Limited spaces available and booking essential.
– Winter and Christmas customs:
Mayor’s welcome with presentations of customs from Algeria, Germany and Austria, Bangladesh and Poland.
The Mexican Christmas piñata consists of seven peaks that symbolise the seven deadly sins of humanity.
– Fandango Dance Performance:
The Fandango is a community celebration central to the Son Jarocho tradition of Veracruz, Mexico.
– Polish Christmas Carols Concert:
The Polish Arts Festival, Choir Conductor: Anna Banko – Szumacher.
– Cinematic Fusion Dance Performance:
Performed by Indian group KOOTTU
– International Cultural Displays:
Cultural displays from Ukraine, India, Algeria, Bangladesh and more.
Returning favourites this Christmas in Limerick include:
Enjoy the delicious buzz of Christmas at Limerick Milk Market with a range of themed markets, handmade crafts and gifts, seasonal foods, local fashion and festive fun set to take place throughout December!
Santa Claus (and his helpers) is coming to town and you can see him in at Santa’s Magical Cabin in the Jetland Shopping Centre, or at his Grotto in the Castle Oaks in Castleconnell, enjoying his Festive Funland in the Radisson Blu Hotel, Lough Gur Santa Experience, Stonehall Farm in Kilcornan and the People’s Museum.
A day at the races has fast become a seasonal tradition in the Irish sporting calendar. The Limerick Christmas Racing Festival from Monday 26 to Thursday 29 December is the ideal place to continue the festive celebrations in style with excellent racing action and plenty of entertainment off track!
Join family and friends for an evening of festive fun at the Treaty City Brewery Night Fair in Limerick’s Medieval Quarter on Friday 09 and Friday 16 December. With Christmas gift ideas from local artisan producers and craft-makers, tasty treats to tempt the tastebuds and Treaty City brews on tap, it’s a sure-fire way to get everyone in the festive mood!
CHRISTMAS IN THE COUNTY:
Yuletide all Wrapped Up!
It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas as the county comes alive with a packed programme of events that are sure to turn any Grinch into a believer.
· It’s panto time (oh, yes it is!) as Mother Hubbard and her faithful dog Growler, along with a whole host of zany characters, make an appearance in Old Mother Hubbard’s Crazy Christmas at Friars’ Gate Theatre.
· Huddle in for a festive storytelling session at Newcastle West Library, as Simone Schuemmelfeder shares some heart-warming tales about winter traditions from around Europe, in Festive Folktales from Far Away.
· For the true spirit of Christmas, you can’t beat the Feenagh Christmas Experience for a fun, festive, family day out! Meet Santa and enjoy the train ride, outdoor games and lots more.
· Lap up some classic Christmas family comedy at its finest, with a screening of Home Alone at Friars’ Gate Theatre.
· Or Cycle and Celebrate at the Barnagh Greenway Hub with bike hire at Barnagh Greenway Hub, lunch at Platform 22 Café and drinks tokens for three Abbeyfeale bars included.
Ho-ho-ho! Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Hear that? It’s the sound of distant sleigh bells.
Throughout the month of December, boys and girls (on the nice list!) can visit Santa in some of the most unique locations across Co. Limerick.
· Visit Santa, Rudolph and all the other reindeer at Stonehall Wildlife Park before they head off on their big adventure on Christmas Eve.
· It has been a busy year for Santa and the elves, so he has decided to check in to the Castle Oaks House Hotel, Castleconnell for some ‘R & R’- make sure to catch him before Christmas Eve!
· Meet Mrs. Claus and the big man himself, as he prepares for the famous beard-pulling test! The Santa Experience at Lough Gur is set to wow children and parents alike in the magical and serene setting of Lough Gur.
· Mrs. Claus, the Elves and the beardy man in red are making a welcome visit to the Old Schoolhouse, Grange, Bruff this December.
· Take a sleigh ride to Kilmeedy’s Enchanting Santa Village, to visit Mrs. Claus and the Elves Workshop before getting your picture taken with Santa himself!
· Even Santa needs to take a break, so why not join the big man himself for breakfast on Christmas Eve at D&M Garden Centre, Croagh as he welcomes you into his Christmas kitchen.
Christmas Craft Fairs, Markets and Workshops
· Get crafty with some very special festive themed workshops this December, at The Painted Pot, Barnagh Greenway Hub.
· Let the Christmas creativity flow and make your very own set of Christmas tree decorations with an Adults Christmas Decoration Workshop at Lough Gur Pottery.
· Stock up on last minute Christmas gifts at this special showcase of local food and crafts at Barnagh Greenway Hub Indoor Christmas Market.
· Whether you’re looking for tasty treats, traditional decorations or cute Christmas crafts, there’s something for everyone at Ballyneety Hub Christmas Market.
· Or soak up the Christmas atmosphere and support local makers, creators and traders at the Twilight Christmas Fair in Knockainey.
PARKING AND TRANSPORT
Getting to Limerick this festive season has never been easier! Christmas shoppers and visitors to Limerick can avail of more than 8,000 on and off street car parking spaces, 40 km of dedicated cycle lanes and over 30 bus routes serving the city, county and region.
Park & Stride – FREE parking in Council Car Park behind Merchant’s Quay.
Access is via Nicholas Street – it is open Saturdays & Sundays from 26 Nov – 18 Dec from 9am – 10pm and on Christmas Eve from 9am – 6pm
City Centre On-Street Parking – Over 3,000 on-street parking spaces in Limerick City- Parking is from 50c per half hour (Monday to Saturday)
FREE after 5.30pm daily and always FREE on Sundays
In Abbeyfeale, Kilmallock and Newcastle West – First hour FREE between 9.30am – 5.30pm as usual – Additional 2 hours FREE on-street parking from 2.30pm daily 03 Dec – 31 Dec. Parking is always FREE on Sundays
Check out the digital guide for all the events taking place across Limerick during this festive period
Read more related Christmas stories